Design and technology
Design & Technology at North Baddesley School
The Design and Technology curriculum at North Baddesley Junior School is about the process of designing, making and evaluating products fit for a purpose or improving, refining and extending the use of existing products. Children need to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems and see where improvements can be made. It includes the creative appreciation of the principles of Maths, Art and Science to solve practical problems.
We encourage children to use their creativity and imagination to tackle real and relevant problems. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. It is our aim to allow the children to develop into free thinking innovators and confident risk-takers.
Our Aims in Design & Technology:
- Develop initiative and a range of thinking and practical problem solving skills.
- Appreciate the variety and nature of materials and the ways in which they can be worked.
- Develop a good level of skill through focused practical tasks.
- Develop inter-personal and co-operative skills.
- Develop creative expression.
- Develop their ability to communicate effectively, verbally, numerically and visually.
- Develop an awareness of the environment and to appreciate that we can affect and control this environment.
- Develop an awareness of safety when using a range of tools.
- Develop the children’s understanding and knowledge enabling them to consider the sustainability of materials and their impact on the environment.
- Develop the children’s understanding that the needs of everyone must be considered in a design process